Here at graze we’re on a never-ending hunt for tastier, crunchier, fresher, better snacking. Why? Because we want to help people enjoy healthy living every day. We think snacks made with seriously tasty, wholesome ingredients and lots of imagination is a good place to start.
After all, it’s what’s helped us become one of the market leaders. Now part of the Unilever family, we remain true to our nimble, tech-led beginnings to find ways to grow our multi-channel brand within the healthy snacking market.
We’re a bunch of like-minded people but we’re not all the same. We’re a diverse lot with different experiences and backgrounds but, like our snacks, we combine to make something wonderful. You can be yourself, feel like you belong, as you’d like to belong.
The role, Packaging Technologist
Reporting to the Packaging Development Manager, you will be part of a passionate and driven packaging team. As the company's Packaging Technologist, you will use all your skills and experiences to provide technical expertise in the development of new products and changes to existing ones. You will coordinate and support the delivery of packaging development across EPD, NPD, cost-engineering and innovation projects.
Our ever increasing and complex packaging portfolio requires the Packaging Technologist to work closely with both internal and external stakeholders to develop our next big innovations as well as resolve any manufacturing issues by leading investigations, drawing conclusions and supporting implementation to ensure we meet business objectives.
The role heavily encompasses food manufacturing and the candidate will be a key driver for providing packaging solutions to meet a wide range of business objectives including commercial, innovation and marketing objectives.
What you will be responsible for
- Supporting the introduction of new packaging and amendments to existing packaging materials and components in accordance with business briefs and project timelines.
- Work alongside internal and external stakeholders to ensure structural design integrity, development of creative concepts, mock ups and samples.
- Provide guidance, advice and support to the relevant teams on packaging structures, materials, print and specification throughout the design process.
- Approval of technical drawings and print specifications to complete product validation.
- Supporting artwork/repro processes, following approval processes, whilst maintaining system records.
- Conducting factory trials, reporting and liaising directly with stakeholders to support product investigations, optimisation targets and project delivery.
- Assisting in the compilation of finished goods specifications once validated.
- Assist in the non-conformance procedure and help to implement quality standards with suppliers competently to provide resolutions going forward.
What we’re looking for in you
- Ideally you've been involved in packaging development, involving design, innovation and project management through to commercialisation, within an FMCG background.
- Preferably educated to degree level in a relevant technical, food and or packaging related subject
- Strong understanding of packaging operations, packaging materials, specifications, equipment and processes.
- Knowledge across rigid and flexible plastics, carton board and corrugated categories.
- Hopefully you have a competent level of knowledge of printing processes used within the food industries.
Key personal attributes and skills include
- Excellent project management skills supported by strong communication skills.
- Good reporting discipline with attention to detail.
- Highly motivated with excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Can do/problem-solving, positive and proactive attitude.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Comfortable working across the Microsoft Office suite with strong presentation skills.
- Experience with Adobe suite a plus.
What we will expect in first 6 months
- Hit the ground running, taking ownership of current live projects, with the support of department associates and the wider business.
- Achieve a high level of success, delivering projects on time, meeting all desired objectives.
- Lead the business in the early stages of any future development and innovation projects.
- To show a real enthusiasm for tackling and solving business challenges, whether project based or problem solving/troubleshooting issues.
- To be proactive to identify, propose and resolve supply chain, technical and operational packaging issues.
- Developed strong working relationships with our key suppliers
What’s in it for you?
- Imagine being part of a company that always looks for growth areas in retail, online and even new geographies.
- You’ll pick up new skills and experiences, broadening your knowledge and capabilities to push you to the next level.
- We encourage active learning with learning lunches, networking events or more formal qualifications At the risk of blowing our own trumpet, there’s some seriously smart, informed, helpful, modest, funny and dedicated people at graze HQ!
- You’d be part of a culture that revolves around each of us doing a great job by being helpful, open, inclusive, pioneering, commercially aware, persistent and honest. And we wouldn’t have it any other way. Bring yourself to work!
- Tons of activities to join including yoga, HIIT classes, touch rugby, team breakfasts, bi-weekly massages and we also have paid volunteering and health days each year.Great team socials! Quarterly events, Friday drinks and much more.